Welcome to East Village Afternoon... enjoy your pop.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Welcome to Plastique House!

alexander guerra / self-portrait
.
Here at East Village Afternoon, we love nothing more than to discover and present new, wildly creative artists. And, boy, have we found a great one!
.
Alexander Guerra is the progenitor of Plastique House, a photography studio which imagines and produces some of the most exciting, original and thought provoking works of art we've seen in a long time.
.

We asked Alexander to describe two of the photographs which caught our eye. In the photos one notices a mash-up of real human naked bodies, doll parts and toy animal heads.
.
.
Alexander Guerra:
The idea of the "Furvert Line-Up" came to me a few months back while I was at an Erotic Art Expo here in Miami. I was showing my "Cirque Noir" series and I was overwhelmed with the attention one of my pieces was getting. The piece is called "The Magician's Rabbit", and he is dressed in a white bunny head, white gloves and a white cane. Here I thought my Clowns were going to be the stars, but the Rabbit stole the show. What fascinated me the most was the amount of straight men that would walk over with their girlfriends/wives to smile and admire the image. My imagination started to run, which means that I started to fantasize. I imagined all these straight guys buying or renting animal costumes, stripping down to nothing but the heads and paws and just exposing themselves to people. Like the animal heads made it okay for them to be naked.
.
Fast forward and these Furverts have been captured for their Indecent Furversions.
"Which one of these animals flashed their goods at you Ma'am?" ...
For about 3 months, I would frequent the Goodwill Store looking for little animals I could use for parts. When I would find one, I would come home, cut it's head and paws off, and then presume to find it a suitor.
.
The idea to add Lady GaGa to the mix came to me while I was on a plane to San Fran for the Folsom Street Fair. I was watching the "Paparazzi" video and at the very end you see GaGa in an amazing metal dress (by Dolce & Gabbana). In that very short scene, GaGa is acting up for the camera as she's being directed to take her mugshot. I knew then, that I had to add her to the mix. She was the missing ingredient in my Furversion Line-Up. She wasn't a Furvert but she embraces them as her little Monsters. I did struggle with whether or not she should have a penis poking out from under that hard metal, but in the end, I decided not to. The whole "Is GaGa a Tranny" thing had run it's course.
.The 2nd piece is the black one, and originally I didn't plan on creating it. I had just done the "Cirque Noir" series and I didn't want to go back to black, yet again. I did want to showcase each doll individually on a black background. I wanted to give them to the models as a gift of appreciation for stripping down and letting me shoot them in the buff. After seeing how amazingly they popped against the black, I had to line them up again and just go with it. In the end, I ended up creating one of my favorite pieces to date.
.
We love your work, Alexander, but what should we know about you?
I'm 26, Cuban-American, born and raised in Miami, Florida. Held my first camera when I was 8 and I haven't been the same since.
Read more of my bio at:
and contact me at:
.
Thanks, Alexander, we love you, we love your work, and we can't wait to see more of both!

No comments:

LinkWithin